Happy Tuesday!I have something totally different today. Over the weekend Bonnie from Pink Stitches
asked for volunteers to make, review, and then blog about her pattern for the super cute Bella pouch! I was all about it (of course). I mean really, like I was going to pass that up? I think not!
First of all, if you guys don't know Bonnie you are missing out. I made it easy to find her, just click that link up there (you know you want too!!) She even has an Etsy Shop
! Where you can get some great stuff including the Bella Pattern.
So onto the good stuff! Here is my review of her lovely pattern.
This is what my finished pouch looks like.
Overall, this pattern was great. The pattern is in PDF form. It's 16 (!) pages. It has great color photos of each step. It's easy to read and understand the steps. You need to sew darts and curves. The darts are small and the curves are pretty easy so even if you have limited experience with them you should be OK. It doesn't use very much fabric (a few fat quarters) or extras (which you could change, like I did, based on what you have). You could even make the bag bigger or smaller if you wanted. This is Bonnie's first pattern and I think she did a great job!! I bet it would look cute made of patchwork too!
There were a few things that I did differently than stated in the pattern:
- Bonnie said it would be OK if I used one layer of batting if I wasn't going to use it for electronics, so I did. I also used one layer of fusible interfacing. I only had enough for one layer..plus fusible interfacing hates me!
- I made my pocket much smaller, and cut only one piece of fabric and folded it over and then sewed it. I made it smaller because it seemed like the size stated in the pattern was to big and I would have sewn over it when sewing the darts.
- I basted my flap onto the bag before putting it all together. This way it won't wiggle around (which these things usually do for me).
- Sewed on both sides of my side tab and strap.
- Made my strap with double fold bias tape because I wanted something different and didn't have any fabric that matched. I just folded it open, ironed it flat and refolded it so that both sides were the same (not one wider than the other as it usually is).
- Used a split ring in place of the D ring and lobster clasp (I didn't have either of these).
- Made my wrist strap 12" instead of 14". I have smallish hands and wrists so this was a better length for me.
Now on to the giveaway! I've never had a giveaway before! Up for grabs is one copy of the Bella Pouch Pattern. All you need to do is leave a comment on this post. Want to up your odds of winning??
- One extra entry for liking Bonnie on Facebook or following her with Google Friend Connect. Leave a comment telling me you did. This is one or the other so just tell me which one you did.
- One more extra entry for hearting her Etsy shop. Leave a comment letting me know if you did.
That's a total of THREE possible entries.
If you don't win, or just want to buy the pattern it's only $5.
- Fine Print: Giveaway will be open until 3PM CT, Tuesday, July 17, 2012. I'm going to have my boyfriend (who has never even looked at this blog, that I know of) pick a random number and that comment will win. Please (PLEASE) have a way for me to contact you!! Put your email in your comment if you aren't sure I can get to you through your profile. Good Luck!!!