Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Some fabric love!



I got my jelly roll this morning! I love getting stuff in the mail. Now I'm faced with decisions. I would love to make a quilt with this beautiful fabric.
How do I make it?
Do I just use the fabric in the roll or do I add a solid?
If I use a solid what the heck color do I use?
I have only made 2 quilts plus a mini quilt for the cat. The first one is just squares, I was really (REALLY) winging it on that one. It was just I want to make a quilt! So I did. The second one I made for my nephew and I planned that one and it was all squares in the middle and then borders around it. I'll have him take a picture of it tomorrow when I go over there. He's 5 and he love taking pictures (and he's pretty good at it) so he will think that's fun.
This is my call to my 4 followers for help in deciding what to do. I've been seeing a ton of grey solids with print heavy quilts, and I like grey. But does grey work with everything? And what shade?
I'm also thinking that I like this little quilt made by Florence. It's simple enough and I figure if I just use the fabric in the roll I can get 80 squares (made of three 2.5x6.5strips). That would be like a 48x60 quilt and I'd like it to be bigger than that but not huge. If I use a solid then I can get more squares plus I could just use the same grey on the back with some little bits of left overs here and there.. But I really don't know...
And I feel like I have to get some higher quality fabric for the solid and back but I don't know anything about any of these fabric makers. I always see the name Kona, and I assumed that it would be expensive but it's not too bad. They sell it at JoAnn's but of course not the grey, big surprise there. At least there I could use a coupon on it. Oh the choices!
As a side note I'm going to hang out with my nephew tomorrow so we'll see if "the shorts" fit (crossing fingers).

5 comments:

The Sunflower Patch said...

Is it a secret? I don't see any pic's or a post,just your title?

Miranda said...

Haha! No, I typed the title and then hit enter. Apparently that posts your post (who knew) and then I just went to edit the post. Then in my true fashion I had to eat and watch some TV and go outside and all these other things but work on the post. It's done now though :) You're funny!

The Sunflower Patch said...

That is a cute quilt :) Why don't you spend some time looking around on the net/other blogs to see if you find something you love? That is how I found a quilt block that I liked for a swap I am doing.
Just type in something like quilt patterns,or quilt blocks...
Good Luck;)

Anonymous said...

I don't know much about it but I like that Florence quilt you linked to... (I like things with lots of patterns & colors!)

Karen said...

I do like the pattern you found at Florence's blog. A grey or a white with be nice with jelly roll. You can ask Joann's if they could get grey in, as I'm sure you're not the only quilter in your area looking for it. Then you could use your coupon!